1. Add plain flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and hand whisk together to combine in your stand mixer bowl.
2. In a heat-safe bowl, add water and milk. Microwave for 15 sec at 600W. Add dry yeast and a dash of sugar (extra), mix. Let it sit for a few minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the milk mixture (from #2), lard and the flour mixture (from #1). Mix at the lowest speed for 10 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured bowl, wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest for about 1hr.
5.Meanwhile make the filling
In a small cooking pan, add apple, pear, lemon juice, sugar and butter. Mix well. Cook it over medium heat until the apple is wilted. Add maple syrup, corn starch (dissolved in 1/2 tbsp water) and let it thicken. Transfer into a dish tray and let it cool to room temperature.
6. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to a circle shape, divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, cover with a damp cloth and let them sit for 15min (bench time).
7. Take one ball at a time (cover the remaining ones with a damp cloth to keep them from drying). Roll out the dough ball using a rolling pin until it becomes 10cm in diameter. The center of the dough should be thicker than the edge.
8. Scoop 1/12 of filling and place it in the middle of the dough. Wrap and close the dough up to seal from the top. Place the bun seam side down on an individually cut baking paper and cover with a damp towel. Repeat and finish all the buns in this way.
9. Place the buns in your steamer. Leave some space between the buns. Steam for about 8 min. Turn the heat off and leave the lid closed another 1 min before lifting it.
10. Serve hot!
If you use a regular pot for steaming, then better wrap the lid with a kitchen cloth to prevent the condensation onto the buns.