1. Coat the block beef with salt, pepper and garlic and let sit for about 15min.
2. Grill the beef (only its surface) on all sides until well browned.
3. Put the beef inside a ziplock bag, let all the air out, and close it well.
4. Pour boiling water in the rice cooker and place the beef packed in ziplock in it. Top up with more boiling water to cover the beef but don't overflow the bowl. I also put a small dish as a weight to keep the beef down.
5. Close the rice cooker lid and turn on the KEEP WARM function. Leave it for about 40min. The exact time really depends on the size of the beef.
6. Remove the beef from the rice cooker and let it cool to room temperature. Then wrap it with saran wrap and let it sit.
7. Meanwhile make the sauce In a small cooking pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and cook the garlic and shallots until fragrant. Add the ingredient A and bring it to a boil. Set aside.