1. Peel and finely chop the onions, garlic, celery. For the red pepper, remove the seeds then roughly chop.
2. Add olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan and fry the garlic, the onion and then the celery until softened. Also add minced beef and saute with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the tomato tins, tomato paste and all sauce ingredients. Stir until combined. You can put chili at this moment if you want. Then add chopped red pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover with lid and cook over a low heat for about an hour, stirring occasionally until the mixture is thick.
4. Add the kidney beans. Cook for a another 15 mins, uncovered. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
5. Serve with steamed rice or bread fresh from the oven!