1 tsp syrup which you like (monin syrup, maple syrup, mint alcoholic liqueur, etc….)
1. Have a container ready (high temperature proof) and the syrup as well.
2. In a cooking pot, add water and agar powder. Melt the powder over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Heat and stir until the agar powder melts completely. It usually takes about 3 mins.
3. Add the sugar. Melt the sugar, stirring constantly to prevent burning with a spatula. It will be very foamy and bubbly. Keep on stirring for about 5 mins.
4. Remove from the heat and quickly add 1 to 2 tsp syrup of your choice (or a tiny amount of food coloring, using tooth picks.) Mix well and immediately pour into the container.
5. Chill in the fridge until it has set. It should be firm enough to cut.
6. Remove from the fridge and cut into small pieces (about 2 to 3 cm dices) and place them on a baking sheet. (You can also coat the pieces with sugar to make them sweeter)
Let the candies sit there for 3 to 5 days until their surface dries out completely. The candies will be crystallized with a jewelry finish. They are crunchy outside, but inside texture is like jelly.
7. You can keep your “kohakutou” in an airtight container for about 2 weeks.