1. Add all bread ingredients in the pan of your bread machine (as per manufacturer instructions). Select dough cycle and press start.
2. When the dough cycle is complete, remove it from the machine and place on the floured surface (we want the primary fermentation to be finished).
3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin into rectangle shape and sprinkle cold unsalted butter (130g) onto the dough.
4. With the short border of the rectangle closest you, fold the dough into thirds: right and left edges to be folded in. The butter should be enclosed in the dough. Now roll it out again into a rectangle with the rolling pin and fold it again. Repeat it twice more.
NOTE If your dough started too soft and difficult to roll out, then put in the fridge or freezer for 5 to 10 mins to make it firm and repeat.
5. To make your Kouign amann crispy : Spread butter onto your baking mat and top with sugar as much as you want. Set aside.
6. Roll the dough out in a large rectangle (about 30 x 40 in cm), sprinkle sugar on the dough. Roll up the dough up tightly along the length of the rectangle. Then cut the dough into about 4 cm slices, and place them onto the prepared baking sheets with butter and sugar on the bottom, spacing them out about 5 cm apart. Let them rise in a warm place until they sort of double (about 40 min). Preheat the oven to 200C degrees.
7. Sprinkle some extra sugar on top of the kouign amann if you desired. Bake them for about 20 to 25 mins or until caramelized and the edges are browned.