1. Make the sauce In a small cooking pan, add all the sauce ingredients and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 min. Set aside.
2. Make the pad thai Lightly coat the tofu with corn starch. In a wok or a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Fry the tofu on both sides until lightly browned. Set aside.
3. In the same wok, add another tbsp of vegetable oil and fry the garlic and shallot until fragrant. Add shrimps and cook until they just change color.
4. Add the beaten egg and cook until just barely set. Add the rice noodles and the tamarind sauce from #1. Cook until the noodles just become soft.
5. Add bean sprouts, garlic chives, cooked tofu and fry it all together for a few minutes or until it has just wilted. Do not overcook.
Sprinkle some chopped peanuts if you like them and serve hot!