1. Make the shokupan into crumbs with your food processor.
2. Heat 1 tsp vegetable oil over medium heat, fry the bread crumbs (panko) until crispy or brown lightly. Transfer onto a plate and set aside.
3. In the same frying-pan, (without heat yet) add the katsuo flakes, soy sauce, sugar and kobucha (kelp powder). Now turn the heat on, cook over medium heat. Then soon add the bread crumbs, stirring continuously so that there is no lump.
4. Add roasted sesame and cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes. Transfer to a plate and let it cool down. Once cooled, it will be crispy.
5. Transfer to a bowl and add nori. Enjoy over steamed white rice or blend it in when you make Onigiri :)
150 to 200g sugar (use more or less depending on your taste)
a dash of salt
water, as much as necessary
1. Place azuki beans into a cooking pot and add about 800ml water (3 to 4 times the azuki weight). Cook over high heat and bring it to a boil.
2. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 5 min. After 5min turn off the heat and cover, let it rest for 15 to 20 min. Then drain well.
3. Transfer the cooked azuki beans into a clean cooking pot. Add 600ml water, cook over medium-high heat and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, skim off scum. Then cover and cook for about 30 min over medium-low heat. Check regularly that the water level is high enough to cover the beans.
4. After 30 min, check if azuki is ready. If not soft enough, cook another 10 min. Once ok, remove from the heat. Cover and let it rest for 30 min.
5. After 30 min, turn the heat to medium-high heat. Again check that you have just enough water to cover the azuki (adjust by adding or removing water as needed). Just before it boils, add sugar (first 150g then add more if any till 200g) and a dash of salt.
6. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes on medium heat, while stirring occasionally. Let almost all the water evaporate. Transfer to a plate!
7. If you don't use it all, wrap the leftover and freeze. Usually I freeze it in separate 100g portion.
1. In a cooking pot, add the uncooked Japanese rice and soak it in water for about 20 min.
2.meanwhile make the sushi vinegar
Add all the sushi seasoning ingredients (Vinegar, sugar and salt). Cook over medium-high heat and melt the sugar and salt. Remove from the heat when it is almost boiling. Set aside.
3. After soaking the rice, drain well and transfer to a cooking pot. Add 400ml water. Cover and cook over high heat, then bring it to a boil.
4. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low. Mix once then cover again and simmer for 10 minutes.
5.meanwhile prepare the fish
Wash the fish and drain with a kitchen towel. Place on a tray or plate. Sprinkle kosher salt (1 tsp) and coat well on both sides (make sure no bones are left in the middle). Leave 10 to 15 minutes.
6. After 10 min simmering, remove the rice from the heat. Leave another 10 minutes but do not lift the cover yet. Then transfer into a moistened heat-safe bowl (or sushi "oke"). Pour the sushi vinegar on it in one go. Slice the rice and let it cool down. Cover and set aside.
7. Now wipe the fish's excess salt with a kitchen towel. Add oil (1 tsp) on a frying-pan and heat over medium heat. Wipe any excess oil. Place the filets skin side down. Cook for about 4 minutes. Then flip them gently and cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
8. _ Prepare the sauce for the fish_
Add all the sauce for fish ingredients into a cooking pot. Cook over medium heat and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 1 min. Set aside.
9. _ Putting the sushi together_
Place a nori (shiny side down) on your sushi rolling mat. Spread 1/4 sushi rice evenly, leaving a space of about 2cm uncovered along the edge. Cover the rice with saran wrap and flip. Roll up tightly, while removing the saran wrap at the same time.
10. Once rolled up, sprinkle some scallion and place the fish. Brush with the sauce. Wrap with saran wrap tightly. Set aside and repeat for the 3 other rolls.
11. Cut the sushi roll and clean your knife each time you finish a slice. Note : Keep the saran wrap when you cut the sushi. Remove it when the slicing is done.
12. Place the sliced sushi and add more sauce if you like.